- Monthly Program
Ultralight Backpacking Gear Clinic
Sunday May 7th, 1:00pm-4:00pm NOTE DATE CHANGE
Urban Park, Los Alamos
Instructor: Rick Light
This is a free clinic as a follow-on to the book talk (Backpacking the Light Way) given to the Mountaineers on March 28th. The clinic is an opportunity for participants to bring their own conventional and ultralight backpacks, shelter systems, and sleeping systems for comparison and sharing. Anyone with ultralight gear is encouraged to bring their gear to show others and for everyone to see the pros/cons of its design. And there will be opportunity for everyone to try on packs, crawl into tents, etc. Those who bring gear should be willing to let others check it out. We will have a gear scale present so participants can weigh different options for comparison. The clinic will include instruction along with discussion and comparison of gear items. Below is a list of items planned to be included in the instruction and discussion:
• How to size and fit a pack
• How to adjust a pack
• Ultralight packs vs conventional packs, pros/cons/comparisons
• Ultralight shelter systems vs conventional tents, pros/cons/comparisons
• Sleeping systems vs bag and pad approach, pros/cons/comparisons
• Pros/cons of various design features in different kinds of gear
• Pros/cons of lightweight rain shells vs heavy-duty shells
• Pros/cons of various kinds of water purification and filter systems
Send questions about this clinic to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a free clinic, but please register by sending an email to Rick at the above address so he will know how many people are attending.
If weather threatens to interfere with this outdoor clinic, a notice will be posted on the LAM website trip page by 9am of the day of the clinic as to its status.
Participants should bring their packs, tents, and sleeping systems for comparison. We will set up tents on the grass at the park starting half an hour before class begins. Participants should also bring snacks and water and appropriate clothing for a multi-hour outdoor clinic.